Summary of Course Content:
The faculty member in charge will present the main topics. There will also be presentations by other faculty members describing the types of research in their area and panel presentations by senior graduate students discussing their research experience.
- What makes a good research area and topic
- Major research topics in computer science (this is the majority of the class)
- Theory: cryptography, computational geometry, computational biology, optimization, scientific computing
- Systems: security, software development, distributed systems, high performance
- Networking: optical, wireless, sensor, protocols
- Graphics and Visualization
- Information Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Choosing a research topic
- Picking an advisor
- Ethical issues in class work and research
Selected articles and Web sites
Potential Course Overlap:
Slight overlap with 293B in the introductory part of the course. The focus on computer science research makes this course substantially different from orientation classes in other fields.