Important Information on Major Changes
Change of Major
The requirements to change majors into the Computer Science (CS) major in the College of Letters and Science changed in Spring Quarter 2015. With the declaration of CS as an impacted major, new prerequisites for transferring into the major will be enforced. Students who are considering switching to CS must have a 3.0 GPA at the time the petition is submitted. Additionally, students must have completed the following courses with a grade of C- or better:
- MAT 21A
- MAT 21B
- ECS 20
Choose one option:
- (a) ECS 30 or ECS 36A, ECS 40 or 36B
- (b) ECS 34
Note: ECS 34 has a prerequisite chain of ECS 32A and 32B. Students who complete ECS 32B SHOULD NOT take ECS 36B or 36C.
University requirements state that all students considering switching their major must have completed at least one quarter at UC Davis, as well as be in good academic standing. Students must come in during drop-in advising hours to make a course plan; please also see the the Change of Major form on OASIS.
In addition to the requirements above, students must also complete ECS 50 and (60 or 34 or 36C) before attempting to declare a double major in CS. After these courses have been completed, students must also obtain an academic plan that has been approved by the major advisers of both majors showing that the double major can be completed in fewer than 225 units. After the academic plan has been approved, students may submit the Change of Major form on OASIS to add the second major.
For all students who matriculated to UC Davis as transfer students, in order to change your major to Computer Science and Engineering, you must:
- Be a registered student and have completed at least one quarter (minimum of 12 units) at UC Davis.
- Have completed not more than 135 cumulative units, excluding AP units.
- Be in good academic standing and meet minimum progress requirements.
- Have received a letter grade for all courses that satisfy Engineering degree requirements.
- Have completed all transfer admission course requirements for the intended major, must have received at least a 2.000 GPA or higher in these courses, and have received a C- or better in each of these courses. Transfer admission course requirements can be found here.
- Have no grade lower than a C- in any completed engineering course required for your intended major(s) taken at UC Davis.
- Have a 2.000 UC GPA in completed engineering courses.