Changing Majors

Changing Majors and Double Majors

Important Information on Major Changes

All students must meet the minimum GPA requirements to change into CS/CSE. No exceptions!

The Computer Science program is impacted, meaning that there are more students in our majors, minors, or who want to take our classes than there are spaces available. This makes it harder to get classes and transfer into our department than in non-impacted majors. We, therefore, encourage you to use the Internship and Career Center for exploring interests, majors, and career areas to make an informed decision about the major that is right for you, so you can create an interdisciplinary skill set for your future endeavors. Pursuing a CS major will likely result in an extended time to degree, so pursuing a non-impacted major may be a better option for you.

Several other majors exist at UC Davis that are viable options if you want a career in the field of computer science such as cognitive science, applied mathematics, applied physics, biotechnology, and other majors in the College of Engineering.

Advising appointments are reserved for students declared in the CS and CSE majors only. Students interested in changing majors into CS/CSE or adding a double major in CS should attend an information session with the CS Advising Team. The information sessions will cover the requirements to be eligible to change majors/double major, frequently asked questions, and will provide time for students to ask questions to the advisors. Information sessions are open to current UC Davis students only. You must be logged in to your UC Davis Zoom account to register.

  • Info Sessions
  • Change of Major to Computer Science
  • In order to be eligible to change to the Computer Science major, all students must meet the following requirements:

    1. Complete the following courses with a C- or higher: (Starting in Fall 2023, a 3.0 cumulative GPA will be required in the following courses)
    MAT 21A
        - MAT 21B
    ECS 20
    Choose one option:
    (a) ECS 32A and ECS 32B and ECS 32C (offered in fall quarters) and ECS 34 (offered in winter quarters)
    (b) ECS 36A and  ECS 36B - starting Fall 2023, ECS 36C will also be required; starting Spring 2023, ECS 36 series will not be open to non-majors
    2. Have an overall UC GPA of 3.0
    Be a registered student and have completed at least one quarter (minimum of 12 units) at UC Davis
    Be in good academic standing and meet minimum progress requirements
    Starting Fall 2023 - Have received a letter grade for all courses required to change majors to CS (no P/NP allowed)

  • Change of Major to Computer Science and Engineering
  • In order to be eligible to change to the Computer Science & Engineering major, all students must meet the following requirements:

    1. Complete the following courses: (Starting in Fall 2023, a 3.0 cumulative GPA will be required in the following courses)
         - MAT 21A
         - MAT 21B
         - MAT 21C
         - PHY 9A
         - CHE 2A or CHE 4A
         - Starting in Fall 2023 students will also need to complete ECS 20, and either the ECS 36 series or the ECS 32/34 series
    2. Have an overall UC GPA of 3.0
    3. Have a GPA of 2.0 or better in all other completed MAT, PHY, and CHE courses required for your intended major, and have received a C- or better in each of these courses
    4. Be a registered student and have completed at least one quarter (minimum of 12 units) at UC Davis
    5. Have completed no more than 135 cumulative units (excluding AP units)
          - students who have completed more than 135 units will be considered on a petition basis only
    6. Be in good academic standing and meet minimum progress requirements
    7. Have received a letter grade for all courses that satisfy Engineering degree requirements (no P/NP allowed)
    8. Have no grade lower than a C- in any completed engineering course required for your intended major(s) taken at UC Davis
    9. Have at least a  2.0 UC GPA in all completed engineering courses.
         - Engineering courses are any courses taught by ENG, ECS, MAE, EEC, EAE, EBS, BIM, ECH, ECM, ECI, EMS, EME

    Transfers: must meet transfer admissions requirements in addition to the requirements listed above.
  • Double Major in Computer Science
  • In addition to the requirements above, students must also complete ECS 50 and (34 or 36C) before attempting to declare a double major in CS. After these courses have been completed, students must also obtain an academic plan that has been approved by the major advisors of both majors showing that the double major can be completed in fewer than 225 units. After the academic plan has been approved, students may submit the Change of Major form on OASIS to add the second major.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I change to the CS or CSE without a 3.0 GPA?
  • No. All students must meet the minimum GPA requirements in order to change to CS/CSE. No exceptions.
  • Can I take the requirements to change my major as P/NP?
  • Computer Science Major - Courses taken before Fall 2023 can be taken as P/NP. Starting Fall 2023, all courses required to change majors must be taken for a letter grade. Including courses taken at a community college and transferred back to UC Davis. 
    Computer Science & Engineering Major - No, CoE does not allow P/NP grading for any major courses.
  • Can I take prerequisite requirements at another institution?
  • Yes, you can take prerequisite requirements at California Community Colleges. Please use to make sure your courses are transferrable back to UC Davis. You must obtain approval from your college dean's office if you want to take courses simultaneously at a community college while you are taking courses at UCD during the fall, winter, and/or spring quarters. You do not need permission for summer quarter.
  • How long does it take to change majors?
  • Starting from a blank slate, 4-5 quarters on average. 
  • If I am looking to change my major, do I get pass one registration access?
  • No! Until you are officially in the CS/CSE major, you will NOT get pass one registration access and you are NOT eligible for PTA's. 
  • Is it hard to get into CS classes?
  • Yes, we have many types of students taking CS/CSE courses; major, non-majors, minors, and change of major students. This results in impacted classes and long waitlists. This is why you have to be flexible and patient when pursuing a change of major into CS/CSE. Please be warned that changing your major to CS/CSE can cause an extended time to degree. 
  • Why are ECS courses so hard to get into?
  • The CS department is severely impacted. Every quarter we offer as many courses as possible based on the resources we have available, but unfortunately, we do not have enough resources to accommodate the demand for ECS courses. 
  • What do I do if I took MAT 16/17 courses instead of MAT 21C?
  • Refer to the MAT department Transfer Flow Chart for information on how to change into the MAT 21 series.
  • Can I schedule an appointment with a CS advisor if I'm interested in changing to CS or CSE?
  • No, we are unable to see non-major students in appointments due to the large number of students currently in our program. However, you can sign up for our change of major info sessions under "Info Sessions" on this webpage. 
  • Can I switch between the 32/34 and 36 series?
  • No, once you complete the B course in a series (for example ECS 32B), you must finish that series. Due to credit limitations, you will not earn units for the other series.
  • What is the recommended order for my major courses?
  • When planning out what order to take your courses in, you need to be mindful of the prerequisites for each course. Some courses have multiple quarters of prerequisites that you have to follow. The best way to identify course prerequisites is to use the major checklists or UCD Catalog. The order you take your classes in can look different than other students in the same major. 

    Tips for creating an academic plan:
    1. Start with courses that are prerequisites to other major courses (for example, the ECS 36 series)
    2. If you aren't eligible to take a course that is a prerequisite to something you'll need later, then look for courses that don't have prerequisites
    3. Fill in your schedule with GE, minor, or other non-major electives to give yourself a balanced schedule

    You can also review our sample schedules for an idea on how to order your courses, but remember there are many variations of schedules that you can create.
  • May I enroll in an ECS course even though I have not completed the prerequisite?
  • No. It is essential that you’ve completed the stated prerequisite for a given ECS course before attempting the course. Departments have the authority to restrict enrollment to students who have completed the prerequisites. If you haven’t satisfied the prerequisite, you will be dropped from the class. Re-adding a class after you have been dropped may be reported to Student Judicial Affairs.