Important Information on Major Changes
Change of Major to Computer Science
In order to be eligible to change into the Computer Science major, all students must meet the following requirements:
All students must have a 3.0 UC GPA at the time the petition is submitted. Additionally, students must have completed the following courses with a grade of C- or better:
- MAT 21A
- MAT 21B
- ECS 20
Choose one option:
- (a) ECS 36A and ECS 36B
- (b) ECS 32A and ECS 32B and ECS 32C (offered in spring quarters) and ECS 34 (offered in fall quarters)
Note: Students who complete ECS 32B CANNOT change to the ECS 36 series.
University requirements state that all students considering switching their major must have completed at least one quarter at UC Davis, as well as be in good academic standing. Students must also complete the Change of Major form on OASIS.
Change of Major to Computer Science and Engineering
- Complete the following courses: (Starting in Fall 2023, a 3.0 cumulative GPA will be required in the following courses)
- MAT 21A, 21B, 21C
- PHY 9A
- CHE 2A or CHE 4A
- (Starting in Fall 2023 students will also need to complete ECS 20, and either the ECS 36 series or the ECS 32/34 series)
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or better in all other completed MAT, PHY, BIS, and CHE courses required for your intended major, and have received a C- or better in each of these courses
- Be a registered student and have completed at least one quarter (minimum of 12 units) at UC Davis
- Have completed not more than 135 cumulative units (excluding AP units); students who have completed more than 135 units will be considered on a petition basis only
- Be in good academic standing and meet minimum progress requirements
- Have received a letter grade for all courses that satisfy Engineering degree requirements
- Have no grade lower than a C- in any completed engineering course required for your intended major(s) taken at UC Davis
- Have at least a 2.0 UC GPA in all completed engineering courses.
Advising appointments are reserved for students declared in the CS and CSE majors only. Students interested in changing majors into CS/CSE or adding a double major in CS should attend an information session with the CS Advising Team. The information sessions will cover the requirements to be eligible to change majors/double major, frequently asked questions, and will provide time for students to ask questions to the advisors. Information sessions are open to current UC Davis students only. You must be logged in to your UC Davis Zoom account to register.
Double Major in Computer Science
In addition to the requirements above, students must also complete ECS 50 and (34 or 36C) before attempting to declare a double major in CS. After these courses have been completed, students must also obtain an academic plan that has been approved by the major advisors of both majors showing that the double major can be completed in fewer than 225 units. After the academic plan has been approved, students may submit the Change of Major form on OASIS to add the second major.